Monday, May 21, 2012

A Wandering Heart

I started reading through the Psalms slowly this year.  I am biting off little chunks at a time and letting the words digest before I move on.  Yesterday I arrived at Psalm 119- I will be there a while- there's a lot of meat in that chapter  Verses 10 and 11 stuck out:  
"With my whole heart I seek you;
    let me not wander from your commandments! 
 I have stored up your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you." (ESV)


One of my favorite hymns is "Come thou Fount"- this Psalm immediately brought that hymn to mind- the part of binding our wandering heart to thee and being prone to wander just became lines over and over in my head.  It reminds me of how easily we get distracted and our heart wanders- how do we stop this to refocus?  the answer is in v.11 (and v. 32)- by storing up His word, His truths, and His promises in my heart so that I do not sin.  So easy to say but a lot harder to follow through with...





ETA- had the wrong song! (it's early)

1 comment:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

The hymn is okay but do I have to listen to DCB? Just saying... But you are right in your ideas of refocusing.