Friday, December 17, 2010

The Wizard of Oz

Tonight I was watching The Wizard of Oz on tv- not a movie I have watched all the way through (that I can remember) but I have watched bits and pieces in the past. Anyway, the part that struck me was the part where they (Dorothy, the tinman, and the scarecrow) meet up with the Cowardly Lion and they are talking about what they want to ask the wizard for. The tinman wants a heart, the scarecrow wants a brain, the cowardly lion wants courage and Dorothy just wants her home.

Isn't that what we all want- in all of us is a piece of each of those characters in what we want. The things is- if we are believers- we have all of that through our relationship with God (in this analogy- the wizard- but obviously I don't see God as a wizard).

The Tin Man (wants a heart): In Psalm 33:20-21 tells us how to have that heart
20Our soul waits for the LORD;
he is our help and our shield.
21For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.


The Scarecrow (wants a brain-aka wisdom): Psalm 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
all those who practice it have a good understanding.

The Cowardly Lion (wants courage): Joshua tells over and over (such as in Joshua 1:9)

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

Dorothy (wants to go home): Our earthly home is just temporary as stated in 2 Corinthians 5:1

"For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

Just a few thoughts from a classic movie and a classic Book which both have stood the test of time.

3 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Well done and well thought out my oldest daughter! Love the use of Scripture as well. Love you much.

Tami Grandi said...

Thanks Dad- you know that I can't write here every day- it's one of two things for me- a post either takes several days to write or it just comes to me. This one just came to me :) Love you much back!

Bill (cycleguy) said...

You know you could write every day. You could quit your teaching job, come live with us and...nah, write whenever you can. LOL