Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Is it wrong to dream?

Merriam-Webster defines dream as:

(n) a : a strongly desired goal or purpose dream of becoming president> b : something that fully satisfies a wish

(v)
: to have a dream of
2
: to consider as a possibility
3
: to pass (time) in reverie or inaction

It's something I know that we all do- to dream of what we want for the future, to dream of what we wish we had done different in the past, even to escape reality for a little while. But is this harmful? Does it set us up for unrealistic expectations? As a single I dream of being married someday- and while I don't want it to be to the wrong person am I wrong to dream that dream?

I'm not completely sure of that answer- I think maybe I need to change my dream and instead dream of HIM and what HE wants for me. Jeremiah 29:11-13 (which has become very dear to me this past week) clearly states


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (NIV)

He knows my heart's desire, he knows my dreams, he knows my future... and his plans for me are not going to hurt me- they are there to give me hope. I think it all boils down to v. 13- when I seek HIM with ALL of my heart (not 1/4, not 1/2, not even most- ALL) I will find Him.

ETA: For Christmas my dad got me the book "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith" by Lysa Terkeurst and I started reading it tonight- the introduction is about dreams- the part that stuck out to me "When a woman begins to walk in faith toward God, He will give the dream." Resting in that tonight.

4 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Hmmmm, you mean I did something right? Glad the book is meeting a need. Good to see you know who to dream about. But I also don't think it is wrong to dream...as long as that dream is HIS. Love you much.

Tami Grandi said...

That's where I struggle- with knowing whether a dream is HIS or mine. Things that I thought were HIS dream/purpose for me turned out not to be- they turned out to be my dreams. And when they aren't his- it can cause pain. I keep going back to Psalm 37:4- Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. It goes hand in hand with the Jeremiah verse. I just need to get to the point where my desires and his desires are in tandem.

Dustin said...

Agree with Bill - so often we dream, yet don't include God. I need the reminder to dream God's dream for my life from time to time.

Tami Grandi said...

Dustin- thanks for stopping by. I am working on dreaming His dreams for my life :)